Skip to Main Content


Office of the United States Attorney – Detailed Legal Support Officer

(Office of the State Prosecutor – Senior Paralegal/Admin Officer III)


Posting Date:  July 1, 2024                           Closing Date:  Open Until Filled

Job Title:  Legal Support Officer (OSP Admin Officer III)

Position Type:  Contractual                           Location:  USAO Baltimore/Greenbelt

Salary:  $53,808 – $77,254, depending on qualifications and experience

Overview: The Maryland Office of the State Prosecutor is seeking multiple applicants to serve as Legal Support Officers/Senior Paralegals cross-designated to work full-time in the United States Attorney’s Office (USAO) for the District of Maryland. The Legal Support Officers will work closely with Assistant United States Attorneys and local, state and federal law enforcement agencies and task forces, supporting their efforts to identify, investigate and prosecute individuals and organizations responsible for committing acts of violence and crimes involving guns, gangs, and narcotics throughout the State of Maryland. The positions are contractual and funded through the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention and Policy.

These positions will provide paralegal and administrative support to the USAO in either the Baltimore or Greenbelt Office. Responsibilities include the organization and preparation of documents for electronic discovery, assistance in all aspects of litigation including trial presentation, legal research, and general administrative support.

Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited high school or a high school equivalency certificate. Two years’ experience as a legal assistant or legal secretary performing legal research or drafting and reviewing legal documents on behalf of an attorney. Thirty credit hours or a certificate in paralegal studies from an accredited college or university or law school may be substituted for the required experience. The candidate shall possess a knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform straightforward legal research; excellent written and oral communications skills and analytic ability; and familiarity with a variety of computer applications, specifically the Microsoft suite (Word, Excel, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat. The candidate should be detail oriented, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and have strong organizational skills. Substantial experience with e-discovery systems is preferred.

Submission: Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample via email to the Office of the State Prosecutor at Applicants who are invited for an interview may also be asked for references.  Any questions regarding the position may be directed to the same OSP email address.

Employment Benefits: Contractual full-time employees are eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You may also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits. Annual leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12-month period. Employees may also earn Compensatory Time Off in lieu of pay for any overtime worked.

Equal Opportunity Employer: The Office of the State Prosecutor is an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested persons to apply regardless of race, color, religion or belief, ancestry, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, pregnancy, family or parental status, veteran status, genetic information, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.