CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS AMONG 18 INDICTED IN PRISON CORRUPTION INVESTIGATION
Maryland State Prosecutor Emmet C. Davitt announced today the indictments of 18 defendants after a year-long, multi-agency investigation into corruption at the Jessup Correctional Facility located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Included among the 18 defendants are two Correctional Officers, six inmates, and ten outside facilitators. Charges in the indictments include conspiracy to distribute controlled dangerous substances, conspiracy to commit bribery, bribery, and the smuggling of contraband to include illegal narcotics and cellular phones into Maryland correctional facilities. Both of the correctional officers are additionally charged with misconduct in office.
The indictments are the result of a joint investigation by the Office of the State Prosecutor, the Special Investigative Unit within the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services and the Maryland State Police. Davitt said “This case exemplifies the tremendous accomplishments that come from a partnership and cooperation between law-enforcement agencies and offices of prosecution in rooting out corruption in the State of Maryland.”
Additionally Davitt thanked all of the law enforcement agencies and offices of prosecution who provided valuable assistance throughout this investigation including Detective Sergeant Michael Baier and the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, the Maryland State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Anne Arundel County Police Department, the Baltimore City Police Department, the Baltimore County Police Department, the Office of the Attorney General, the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney Office, and the Baltimore County States Attorney Office.
- Phillipe Jordan Jr., age 38 of Owings Mills, Maryland; and
- Warren Wright Jr., age 43 of Baltimore, Maryland.
- Dante Bruce, age 43;
- Kevin Cooper, age 34;
- Duane Dundas, age 46;
- Dwayne Gaffney, age 36;
- Jabraiyl Hale, age 25; and
- Tyrone Johnson Jr, age 53.
- Karisma Ashford, age 28 of Baltimore, Maryland;
- Raeniece Board, age 24 of Forrestville, Maryland;
- Donya Bruce, age 43 of Baltimore, Maryland;
- Katina Bruce, age 45 of Aberdeen, Maryland;
- Latoya Carmichael, age 30 of Baltimore, Maryland;
- Seingwaeng Hammond, age 25 of Washington, District of Columbia;
- Marquis Johnson, age 27 of Baltimore, Maryland;
- Travis Johnson, age 25 of Baltimore, Maryland;
- Kianna Littlejohn, age 32 of Baltimore, Maryland; and
- Thelma Powers, age 56 of Baltimore, Maryland.
Copies of the indictments can be found at the Office of the State Prosecutor’s website, at http://osp.marylhttp://osp.maryland.gov/jessup-correctional-facility-indictments/. Charges in the indictments are merely accusations and all defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.